Your ticket to a learning journey - anywhere! Lesson Plans To Go is for any parent interested in taking an active part in their children’s education, as well as for home schooling families. Rich educational opportunities arise when exploring and inquiring in informal settings: from the backyard to the beach, in museums and parks, or during a vacation or camper trip. But valuable, transferable learning won’t just happen by itself. The hands-on units in this book will make learning explicit, focused, and enjoyable. An introductory section, Tips for Teaching, describes how to make the most of field trips, design interdisciplinary units, and link selected units to published educational standards.
Ten detailed units include:
- Science: Model the lunar cycle, dissect a fish, and try chemistry.
- Mathematics: Graph resource use and study geometry.
- Writing: Develop journal, non-fiction, and creative writing skills.
- History: Bring the voyages of Columbus and Lewis & Clark to life.
- Navigation: Compass use, hands-on mapping, and more.
- Physical Education: Study heart rate and exercise – anywhere!
Each unit includes detailed information on:
- Activities and assignments that your child will enjoy.
- Age-Appropriate Adaptations for ages 4-12 in detail.
- Tips for cross-curricular links and enrichment.
- Suggested resources to support learning.
- Materials required (selected for practicality).
Plus sections that detail how to:
- Make the most of field trips.
- Design interdisciplinary units.
- Link selected units to published educational standards.
Useful appendices, including:
- Other topics for hands-on studies.
- Sample unit breakdowns.
- Cross-reference to academic standards.
Connect experience to education as a family, and reap the rewards!